Joining the United States military requires sacrifice, perseverance, and a great love of our country. I saw these qualities firsthand in my father, Charles Tuberville, who was a decorated World War II veteran, earning five Bronze Stars and a Purple Heart. I deeply respected his service to our country, and growing up, he instilled in me the values of grit, hard work, and patriotism.
Now, as a U.S. Senator, I have the honor of nominating qualified candidates each year for an appointment to a United States Service Academy. It is no small step to pursue a nomination to a United States Service Academy, but it is an opportunity to be a part of the next generation of American leaders and join the ranks of great men and women who came before you.
My office is accepting applications from Alabama students who are seeking a nomination to the United States Naval Academy, Air Force Academy, Merchant Marine Academy, or the Military Academy at West Point for the class entering in July of 2022.
Applying to a service academy is a two-application process. A student must apply to a nomination source and apply to each academy of their choice.
Because the competition for Congressional nominations is high, I encourage you to also request a nomination from other nominating sources. There are several nominating sources, like your Representative to the House of Representatives, Senator Shelby, the President, or the Vice-Presidents. The nomination process is unique to each nominating authority.
Please remember that in order to be eligible for a nomination each candidate must meet the following criteria:
- Be a United States Citizen at the time he or she enters the Service Academy, and a legal resident of Alabama;
- Be at least 17 years of age, but not yet 22 by July 1st of the year he or she is admitted to the Service Academy (the upper age limit is 25 for Merchant Marine Academy);
- Meet the minimum requirements of the Academy to which he or she is applying.
APPLYING FOR A NOMINATION
In order to be considered for a nomination, you must apply on my website by submitting the items outlined below:
- Online Application and Questionnaire
- Checklist Items
- Essay (500 words max) explaining why you wish to attend a Service Academy
- Official Academic Transcripts
- Official ACT and/or SAT scores (composite scores)
- Three (3) Recommendation Letters from non-relatives, at least one of which must be from a teacher or school official
- Recent photo
The last date to submit the application is Tuesday, October 12, 2021.
Unfortunately, failure to complete these requirements by Tuesday, October 12, 2021 will disqualify you from further consideration. Please be sure you are a current and legal resident of Alabama.
A nomination through any authority does not guarantee acceptance into a service academy. Final acceptance into one of the Service Academies is made by the individual academy.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact June Reeves-Weir via email or by contacting our Huntsville Office.
Thank you again for your aspiration to serve our country.
Senator Tommy Tuberville
*The United States Coast Guard Academy does not require a congressional nomination