Help with a Federal Agency

Do you need help with a Federal Agency?

I travel all over our great state, meeting Alabamians from Bridgeport to Bayou La Batre. After hearing about how much trouble people were having when dealing with their federal government, I made a promise that I’d hire a staff that was dedicated to working hard every day to put the needs of Alabamians first. We all know how much the federal government loves red tape, so I’ve built a team that wants to help you navigate those waters and make sure you are treated fairly.

What is Casework?

If you are an Alabama resident and you need assistance with a federal agency, my Constituent Service Representatives are ready to see how they can help! This type of assistance—helping constituents in their interactions with federal agencies—is called casework. 

My office may be able to help with problems related to veterans’ benefits with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), tax issues with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), Social Security check issues, and a list of other federal government-related matters. We are here to help you communicate with federal agencies, request information or a status report on an open case, and request benefits to which you may be entitled. 

You can always work with a Constituent Service Representative in person at my Mobile, Montgomery, Hoover, and Huntsville Offices, but we are also happy to assist you over the phone or via email from wherever you may be in Alabama. 

What is NOT Casework?

As your United States Senator, my office may be able to help with federal agencies. 

However, problems related to state agencies need to be solved at the state level. If you need help with Alabama state agencies, please contact the Alabama Governor’s Office, your state Representative, or state Senator

Additionally, certain ethics rules limit my office’s ability to get involved with civil and criminal legal cases. Some examples of issues that we are unable to assist include:  

  • Legal Issues & Matters in Active Litigation 
  • Criminal Cases
  • Civil Cases
  • Child Custody Issues
  • Divorce Cases
  • Child Support Services
  • Credit Card Problems
  • Bank Problems
  • Non-Federal Workers Compensation
  • State Revenue Taxes
  • Private Insurance Claims
  • Food Stamp Issues
  • Public School Issues 
  • Homeowner Insurance Claims
  • Private Industry Complaint

Ready for our Help? Here are Your Next Steps:

  • If you are an Alabama resident and need assistance with a federal agency, please feel free to contact one of my state offices.
  • In most cases, we will need you to submit a Casework Authorization Form. Please print the form, fill it out completely, and mail it to the state office that covers the county in which you reside.  
  • Returning this form is very important: Under the provisions of the Privacy Act of 1974, you must submit this formal casework authorization before my team can seek disclosure of your records from a federal agency.  
    • Please note that the form must be signed by the person whose case is in question—not a friend or relative. 
  • Additionally, please include all of the following: 
    • A detailed letter describing your problem.
    • The government agency involved, and other relevant information to your case.  
    • Your name, mailing address, daytime phone number, and Social Security number. 

Once my staff has received this form and your information, they will contact you in a timely manner.  If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to call any of my offices. 

Please note that inquiries regarding military service must be written and signed by the servicemember requesting assistance.  A letter signed by a parent, spouse, or close friend is not sufficient.