In keeping with a pledge he made to Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin last December, U.S. Sen. Tommy Tuberville objected to Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s attempt Tuesday to pass military promotions through the U.S. Senate by unanimous consent.
In February, Tuberville (R-Auburn) placed a “hold” on all U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) general and flag officer nominations. He was protesting the department’s new policy of funding travel and paid time off for service members and dependents seeking an elective abortion.
“It’s not about abortion. It’s not about the Dobbs decision,” Tuberville said. “This is about a tyrannical Executive Branch walking all over the United States Senate — and doing our jobs. In November, I got word that the Pentagon was thinking about spending taxpayer dollars to facilitate elective abortions.
“This goes beyond what the law allows.”
Tuberville believes the DoD, besides circumventing the role of Congress, is flouting existing federal law, which narrowly restricts the use of taxpayer funds and DoD facilities being used to provide or facilitate abortions for service members.
“The law only allows the Department of Defense to facilitate and fund abortions in the cases of rape, incest, and the life of the mother,” Tuberville said. “I warned Secretary Austin that if he did this, I would put a hold on his highest-level nominees. Secretary Austin went through with the policy anyway in February of this year.
“So, I am keeping my word.”
“Democrats keep repeating the same talking points — and the same opinion,” Tuberville said. “But not one of them has cited any facts. Not one.
“I’ve even asked the Pentagon to explain to me how this affects readiness. In an Armed Services Committee hearing last week, Chairman Reed asked two of the military’s top combatant commanders what impact would my hold gave on readiness. Admiral John Aquilino said, quote, ‘no impact.’ General Paul LaCamera agreed.
“There is no impact on readiness or operations.”